Permits & Applications

Effective for all applications and resubmittals submitted on or after October 16, 2023 are subject to the updated review timelines

Visit the Town Municipal Code website to view the zoning code or Unified Development Code (UDC).

There are a number of projects and processes that require permits or approvals, including:

  • Starting a new business
  • New development
  • Subdivision of land
  • Modifying a building (commercial or residential)
  • Putting up a fence
  • Installing a sign


  • Not sure where to begin? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions or, just give us a call at 919-553-5002
  • Want to determine the construction utility fees should your proposal be approved? Please contact Clayton's engineering department for an estimate of these fees
  • Need a fence, shed, or garage permit? It's all in our Accessory Structure Guide Sheet (PDF)
  • Effective July 1, 2022, The Planning and Engineering Department have made several comprehensive updates to the development process. Click on the Updated Development Process document to review the latest changes and application review timelines.  

Applications, Forms & Permits

All the applications and permits you need - at your finger tips! Many things that need to be done in our community need an application form or a permit. Contact a member of the Planning staff if you have questions regarding which application to submit. 

 Applications can be submitted Monday - Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm in person in the Planning Department located on floor G2 of the Clayton Town Hall.  Application checklists require one (1) digital copy of the completed application packet. All other subsequent submittals should be submitted digitally only using the email address provided below. Any paper materials (example – mailing envelopes) required to be submitted can be dropped off or mailed to the Planning Department. *Digital copies can be submitted on a USB Drive or they can be submitted via email to Review fees are due at the time of submittal. Staff reviews will not start until completed applications and all fees have been submitted. 

Submitting Revisions for Projects in Review: *Revisions can be submitted to Revisions MUST include a revised project plan AND written responses to EACH staff comment. Applicants should respond on the comment sheet provided by the Development Services Coordinator at the end of the review period to ensure that all comments are being addressed. Failure to respond to staff comments could potentially cause delays in final approval.  

*Note: ALL submittals and resubmittals must be sent to the email address for acceptance/review to assure timely processing. All submittals and resubmittals not submitted through this address, or provided in-person without a USB Drive, will not be processed.  

*New Combined Site/Subdivision & Construction Drawing Submittal Option* – In an effort to streamline processes, the Planning and Engineering Departments are now offering the option of a combined site plan (or major subdivision/preliminary plat)/CD review process. Site Plans, Construction Drawings, and Stormwater Management plans can now be reviewed concurrently. A new application for the combined site plan/construction drawing review has been created and can be found on the list of Planning Applications below. The Town will continue to offer the option for these plans to be submitted and reviewed separately at the applicant's request. For questions regarding the new combined process, please contact the Planning Department.

Please note: We will not accept any documents unless they are in PDF format only. Please do not submit pictures of applications or site plans.