2020-21 Comprehensive Growth Plan Update
Clayton is growing. Our population increased 277% from 2000 to 2020. According to capital-area planners, that growth will continue, and the Town could double in size in the next 30 years. If we don't continue to plan for future growth, we risk missing opportunities and losing all that we love about Clayton.
A Growth Plan sets goals and makes recommendations for addressing growth in Clayton. We want our Town to be a vibrant, unique community with a system of open spaces, affordable housing, and a thriving downtown, among other aspirations.
When developing the Comprehensive Growth Plan, it is important to consider:
- What steps can the Town take to ensure quality development?
- How will growth impact the region's resources?
- Can the existing systems of infrastructure support additional people, housing, jobs, school children and cars?
Community feedback is one of the most important aspects of developing a Growth Plan. Participation from our residential and business communities help us determine the needs of the Town. Throughout the entire Comprehensive Growth Plan process, we asked for input from our stakeholders. This included:
- Kick Off Meeting and Community Tour (June 2020 - July 2020)
- Stakeholder Interviews (July 2020 - September 2020)
- Community Survey (October 2020 - December 2020)
- Online Mapping Activity (November 2020)
- Virtual Workshop Video Presentation (December 2020)
- Visioning Workshop, Events and Focus Groups (September 2020 - February 2021)
- Public Hearings (October 2021 and November 2021)
The Comprehensive Growth Plan Steering Committee is made up of community stakeholders and began meeting in July 2020. View the summaries of each of these meetings and their presentations to learn more about the role this committee plays in the creation of the Growth Plan:
- SC1 - July 2020 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC2 - September 2020 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC3 - December 2020 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC4 - January 2021 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC5 - February 2021 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC6 - September 2021 Steering Committee Summary (PDF)
- SC1 - July 2020 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
- SC2 - September 2020 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
- SC3 - December 2020 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
- SC4 - January 2021 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
- SC5 - February 2021 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
- SC6 - September 2021 Growth Plan Update Presentation (PDF)
From 2020 to 2021, Town Planners worked to craft your ideas into action, and on November 15, 2021, the Clayton Town Council approved the Comprehensive Growth Plan (PDF) that will help guide us into the future.
For questions regarding the Comprehensive Growth Plan Steering Committee or this process, please email the Planning Department.