Our doors may be closed because of COVID-19, but we still want to hold as many online programs as we can!
Below is a list of our normal programming prior to COVID-19. We will update our website and Facebook pages once we resume regular in-person programming.
Children's Preschool Storytimes - Meeting January through May and September through November
- Stories, crafts, and special guests designed for preschool children ages 4-5. (Storytimes do not meet in December, but will be back in January!)
- "Movement and Music" class. Designed for children ages 2-3, this program uses rhymes and songs to help toddlers develop pre-literacy skills while wiggling and dancing. (Storytimes do NOT meet in December, but will be back in January!)
Baby Storytimes - Meeting January through May and September through November
- Baby songs, stories, giggles, and rhymes for children 2 years and under with their caregivers. (Storytimes do not meet June through August and December.)
Other Children's Events:
- Homeschool Book Club - Designed for homeschooled (or non-traditionally-schooled) kids ages 7-11. In this book club, we will discuss one book each month and create a craft or activity related to the month's book. Parents and caregivers are encouraged to participate along with their child(ren). If you plan to participate, please contact the library to register.
- Books with Buddy - Children of all ages are invited to read with one of our certified therapy dogs! This service will return when we resume regular Saturday hours.
Below you will find some external resources and links that we hope will be helpful.
- Animal Profiles Archives - Find educational guides that can serve as a useful reference or as "homework help" for any students out there.
- TedEd - is TED's youth and education initiative which aims to spark and celebrate your child's ideas.
- North Carolina Elementary Battle Of The Books - This site lists each year's Battle of the Books lists.
- Encyclopedia.com - Has more than 100 trusted sources, including encyclopedias, dictionaries, and thesauruses with facts, definitions, biographies, synonyms, pronunciation keys, word origins, and abbreviations.
- Fact Monster Dictionary - Definitions of thousands of words and games and links for word lovers.
- Fact Monster Encyclopedia - Access articles from the Columbia Encyclopedia.
- Free Dictionary - A dictionary containing over 260,000 entries, the main source being American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language.
- Merriam-Webster World Central - Look up words in the student dictionary, build your own dictionary, read about the daily buzzword, and play games.
- The Carnegie Cyber Academy - Tips for kids and parents on internet safety as well as an interactive educational game, Carnegie Cadets!
- FBI - Kids Safety - An interactive tutorial for students by the FBI; ideal tool to incorporate into internet safety education.
- GetNetWise - Online safety guide, tools for families, ways to report trouble, and websites for kids.
- Online Tools For Parents And Children - Lists several sites to help you navigate the Internet with your child
- SafeKids - Rules for online safety, guidelines for parents, and information about filtering software.
- Connect Safely - This site is dedicated to educating users of connected technology about safety, privacy and security. Here you'll find research-based safety tips, parents' guidebooks, advice, news and commentary on all aspects of tech use and policy.